Quick update (2016-2021)
I have been much more active on Twitter than here over the last few years, but I never intentionally decided to abandon my blog. So, in attempt to catch up, here is a list of some of the things I've done in the last 5 years, which I've not previously managed here:
- Wrote a chapter for Game AI Pro 3 on procedural level and story generation.
- Wrote the opponent AI for an indie strategy game (unreleased). My first "real" game AI :) It might turn into another Game AI Pro article.
- Moved to Toronto, Canada, to work at Ubisoft Toronto.
- Wrote a chapter for Procedural Storytelling in Game Design.
- Worked on Watch Dogs: Legion for 4 years, leading the programming team responsible for missions and narrative systems, and helped ship a big multi-platform AAA open world game during a pandemic.
- Wrote a blog post about the experience manager I created for Watch Dogs: Legion.
- Shut down Gameconfs, my directory of game industry events.
- Gave a talk at the GDC AI Summit about the mission technology in Watch Dogs: Legion.
- Joined La Forge, Ubisoft's academic R&D lab, building it up in Toronto.
I'll be writing more about each of these over the next few weeks.
The reason I haven't blogged as much: moving to Canada was a big life change, working on Legion was intense (not in the crunch sense, it just took a lot of my energy), and working at a big AAA company sadly meant fewer extracurricular activities, especially public ones.
So why am I blogging now? Because I recently quit Ubisoft to work on something exciting. Announcement soon!