Two milestones

I remembered just in time that 18 years ago today, I started my first day of professional and paid work in the games industry, at the long-defunct, quasi-legendary German company Thalion software. I can’t recall if I’ve blogged about this before. Every year it grows slightly less meaningless, until 2011 when I hit 20 years I guess.

Also, 5 months ago today I met my lovely girlfriend, a far more significant milestone.

1. Darius K. wrote:

Less meaningless?

And congrats on your other anniversary :)

Posted 14 Jan 2009 at 13:44
  2. Thaddaeus Frogley wrote:

18 years? I guess that makes you an old man of the games industry. A veteran. Congratulations. :)

Posted 15 Jan 2009 at 2:37
  3. Alex Crouzen wrote:

So it’s also 18 years ago that you said ‘yes’ to them and I said ‘no’. A decision I’ve regretted for almost 15 years.

Congratulations nonetheless :)

Posted 15 Jan 2009 at 3:26

@Darius: It’s cool to impress girls at parties, but in the end what counts is what you’re doing.

@Thad: Yes, and I now even have the grey hair to prove it :)

@Alex: I didn’t know that… My initial response was ‘no’, did you know that? Who knows what might have happened had we made different choices. In the end, the past is… past, no matter what Faulkner says,

Posted 15 Jan 2009 at 4:07
  5. Alex Crouzen wrote:

No, I didn’t know that. Funny how things go. Both very different choices and career paths, yet we’re both almost equally far away from ‘home’ as each other.

It’s a pity I can’t point you to a blog of my significant other. I’ve had enough trouble getting her to go on to facebook :) – Her specialty is HR though, so I don’t think it would have been as exciting as Raccoon’s.

Posted 15 Jan 2009 at 7:29
  6. Mark wrote:

“It’s cool to impress girls at parties, but in the end what counts is what you’re doing.”

I think what you’re saying hre is that this is something you’ve heard works for OTHER people, right? Because, obviously, you’re happily in love and would not need to impress any girls at any parties, or really, any girls anywhere. Speaking of which, congrats on the five months!

[I'm not sure I did that all right -- is that what you wanted? When do I get my $20?]

Posted 15 Jan 2009 at 8:45

@Alex: I can imagine a HR Women Pin Up Calendar :)

@Mark: Um, yeah, that was hypothetical of course *passes a twenty dollar note*, On the other hand, I did meet her at a party… although I don’t think I mentioned my long and fabled career.

Posted 15 Jan 2009 at 9:12