Killzone 2 most expensive game ever?

Update: I have to say that the blog I link to here is either a very well connected anonymous insider blog or total BS. Reader beware. Still, it sounds plausible.

Here is some industry scuttlebutt about Killzone 2:

[...] that figure was actually €21 million ($30 million) and it has only gone up from there (by gone up i mean it has doubled to €42 million/$60 million). by the time killzone 2 comes out it will dethrone shenmue as the most expensive video game ever made. the game should have cost the former figure but guerrilla’s managerial lacks any sort of financial or work allocation skills, the studio has high turnover and a few other things. because of this incapacity a nice portion of the team at studio cambridge is assisting in development. to top this off the game may be pretty but it’s barely mediocre and past the point of no return. the september release date floating around will without doubt be missed if guerrilla sticks to their intention of not releasing the game until its done which will be early next year.

There is more, but not much more.

Killzone 2 is big, bigger than Guerrilla has ever made, and it is super-important to Sony, so the pressure will be enormous. It won’t be the first nor the last title that is finished by bloating a team beyond decency. And that has to be expensive when your offices are in the center of Amsterdam.

I know some people working on Killzone 2. I think it will look great – really great. But I have no clue if it will play better than Killzone 1.

1. Crispin A wrote:

You sure there’s not supposed to be a decimal point in there somewhere? How many copies are they expecting to sell? Or is it going to be one of those “must-have” games that forces everyone to go out and buy a PS3 — lose money on the game, but increase the number of people with your console?

Posted 30 Jan 2008 at 17:36

Yeah, it’s a loss leader to create a must-buy game and to convince people the PS3 can do things the X360 can’t do.

Posted 31 Jan 2008 at 1:43
  3. Stitched wrote:

Not going to happen. Not in this lifetime.

It’s been so long in the making, already, and if HALF of what you posted is true, it sounds like the game is REALLY in trouble.

Whenever a dev. team increases its size, in a short period, it’s because their production processes suck or the game lacks decisive management and/or clear vision. To make up for this, they brute force it. I have to experience a project, like you described, that DIDN’T follow this pattern (and I’ve been around).

I expect the game to be a sodden mess and most, if not all the people working on it to be pissed off, burned out, bitter shells of decent people.

God. I sound like I’m channeling Costikyan. I better play some indie games to build my spirit meter back up.

Posted 31 Jan 2008 at 17:11

What is not going to happen? You think it won’t come out? It’ll come out.

Posted 01 Feb 2008 at 10:41
  5. Stitched wrote:

That it :

“is it going to be one of those “must-have” games that forces everyone to go out and buy a PS3 — lose money on the game, but increase the number of people with your console?”

I don’t think it will.

Posted 01 Feb 2008 at 17:20
  6. Robert wrote:

well i have been waitin for killzone 2 to come out and in reality it is taking for ever but Grand turismo 4 took 4 ever as well so i have faith in guerrilla to publish that game plus im a gig fan lol…

Posted 11 Feb 2008 at 11:29
  7. Frankie wrote:

Killzone 2 was the second most anticipated game of 2007-8…it WILL come out and it WILL sell very well. So what if its gigantic? Thats a good thing…

Posted 03 Apr 2008 at 5:52

Trackbacks & Pingbacks 1

1. From SmashPad » Blog Archive » Where the Hell Are the Killzone 2 Ads? on 23 Jan 2009 at 16:10

[...] that wowed gamers worldwide with it’s still talked about E3 2005 trailer. This is potentially one of the most expensive games ever made. The game that so far has garnered nothing but absolute praise so far (even though it’s still [...]