Hiive Books: The ZX Spectrum Book – 1982 to 199x

I just found out about The ZX Spectrum Book – 1982 to 199x, a book about the greatest 80s home computer of all time, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum. Which, incidentally, was my first computer at age 13.

The book seems to consist entirely of descriptions of the great games that were released on this platform. Even though I can read about (and even download and play) these games on the web and I would have loved to have seen more than just game descriptions, I feel compelled to buy this book.

It was written by Andrew Rollings and published by the enigmatic Hiive Books. Enigmatic because the link from Andrew’s bio is broken and the main page only contains a logo. But that may be because Hiive Books is apparently just Andrew. Regardless: self-publishing is great, and book like this are a great business idea. Go Andrew!

(The poor, deluded souls who spent the 80s trying to have fun with Commodore 64s, permanently stunting their intellectual growth in the progress, may be interested in The C64 Book – 1982 to 199x.)

1. wolfgang wrote:

Complementary reading: http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/cover1.htm

Posted 28 Jan 2008 at 11:25

And also http://www.crashonline.org.uk/

Posted 28 Jan 2008 at 12:03
  3. Dominik D. wrote:

I don’t want to sound like fanboy…
    Ok, I do. C64 > ZX Spectrum
    That requires no proof. ;>

Posted 28 Jan 2008 at 12:19
  4. Crispin A. wrote:

Sweet! will definitely have to get hold of this!

Might get the C64 one as well, but lower priority, since Speccy > C64 :-P

Now if only they’d come out with one for the Amiga…

Posted 28 Jan 2008 at 16:03

Dominik: It does indeed require no proof, just like the opposite statement :)

Crispin: They are coming out with one for the Amiga ;)

Posted 29 Jan 2008 at 0:58
  6. Andreas wrote:

Highly recommended: http://www.variantpress.com/books/on-the-edge

Not that much about games, but more about technology and the intricate mechanics of doing business in an uncharted market…

Posted 29 Jan 2008 at 3:31
  7. Crispin A wrote:

Much hoorays! :-D

Posted 29 Jan 2008 at 4:43
  8. Andrew Rollings wrote:

Hi Jurie,

Thanks for the plug :)

It’s not just descriptions of games… it weaves in the history of the industry and interesting trivia about the games, companies and authors too.

Anyway, you’ll find out yourself in a few days :)

Oh, and I’m very nearly sold out (down to my last twenty or so copies)
    The website will be updated with a ‘sold out’ sign when they’re gone.

Andrew

Posted 30 Jan 2008 at 18:51

Hey Andrew,

thanks for that info. I looked at the 3 sample pages and they were all about single games, so I extrapolated :) Although the 4th sample bit I found through the news page did talk about something else.

Anyway, just got word it is being shipped from the U.S., I hope I can avoid paying customs :)

Jurie

Posted 31 Jan 2008 at 1:43
  10. Gadget Badger wrote:

It’s a nice nostalgic geeks coffee table book. I think that was it’s aim, and it is exactly that.
    Of course the perfect compliment is my ZX Spectrum iGoogle Gadget :) Check it out at

Posted 14 Feb 2008 at 6:41