Two simple truths about producers and game designers

1. Free-lance game designer/producers
    Most people think they can design games. Most people think they know what preproductions are for. Most people are wrong. As a consequence, I, as a free-lance game designer/producer, don’t get hired to do game design or manage preproduction. I get hired to fix productions that go wrong because the game design and preproduction suck*.
    I am not bitter. This is how it is.

2. Producers at big companies
    In big companies, competent producers are moved from good projects to bad projects, because the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Without a competent producer, good projects go bad.
    Only producers with excellent political skills can stay on a good project.

Tell me I’m wrong.

*) Except for my current clients ;)

1. wolfgang wrote:

Hello, I am from the internet. You are wrong.

Posted 31 Oct 2007 at 1:15
  2. Darius K. wrote:

Hello, I am from the game industry. You are right.

Posted 31 Oct 2007 at 5:18
  3. Stitched wrote:

I will split the difference and say you are “partially right”. I know what preproduction is and I have nothing to do with producing or game design. It’s just part and parcel of what I do for a living (animation). I think a lot of people in the industry know about preproduction but I think where you draw the distinction is that they don’t implement or execute it.

Posted 31 Oct 2007 at 6:30

That is too much nuance for this kind of blog post :)

(I am not saying I disagree)

Posted 31 Oct 2007 at 7:42
  5. Kirsten wrote:

You, sir, are wrong.

Posted 31 Oct 2007 at 10:26
  6. Stitched wrote:

Oh well in that case – Meh!

Posted 31 Oct 2007 at 12:05
  7. Tony Walsh wrote:

Hello, I was formerly from freelance web design but am now from freelance game design. You are right.

As far as being a “fixer” goes, this has been true for me with web design, but not yet with game design. I think the reason for this is that most clients seem to know when a web production is in trouble, but have a harder time knowing when a game production is in trouble.

Not my clients of course, who are perfect in every way. God bless them, every one.

Posted 02 Nov 2007 at 4:40

Trackbacks & Pingbacks 1

1. From links for 2007-11-02 (Leapfroglog) on 01 Nov 2007 at 23:23

[…] Intelligent Artifice ยป Two simple truths about producers and game designers Disagree with point one, agree with point two. And like Mr Jones, I’m quite sure this also applies to web design. (tags: gamedesign gamedevelopment freelancing producing design politics companies) […]