Bioshock’s copy protection

Here is a pretty detailed look at the copy protection mechanism that comes with the PC version of Bioshock. It is uglier than I expected: I didn’t know games were using limited activations these days. That kind of changes the whole idea of ‘buying a game’ – the impact on renting and reselling games is huge. I wonder if that’s clearly stated on the box?

I’d say something smug about playing on the Xbox 360 but my Xbox just got shipped to Microsoft for repairs yesterday, so the smugness will have to wait ‘up to 25 business days’. Also, I don’t have Bioshock. Ah well, I just started playing Twilight Princess for the GameCube.

1. Mark wrote:

It was only a couple of days ago — while perusing titles on GameRankings.com — that I realized that Twilight Princess had been released on the GC as well as the Wii. Of course I’m not surprised that Nintendo didn’t exactly trumpet that fact, but I’m glad they didn’t hold it hostage to the Wii when they easily could have.

In any case, it’s on my to-get list. Along with a new computer, a haircut, and a job. :-)

Posted 01 Sep 2007 at 18:15

They didn’t hide it, but most of their marketing was for the Wii version, I guess. It’s not as obscure as the Xbox 1 version of Half-Life 2…

I haven’ t read many comparisons of the Wii and GC versions, but it should dispel any doubts about the computing power of a Wii compared to a GC.

Posted 02 Sep 2007 at 1:18
  3. Alex wrote:

The only difference between the Wii and GC version that I know of is a funny one: The whole game is horizontally flipped. It’s most probably the Wii version that’s ‘different’ by the way. It’s got to do with the fact that Link has to hold his sword in his right hand on the Wii version to allow for the Wii-mote.

Posted 03 Sep 2007 at 1:05
  4. Chris Wells wrote:

I am nearly done with Bioshock so you are welcome to play my copy when you get your 360 back. I will play through it again for the alternate ending, but need a break. When people piss me off I catch myself lifting my left hand to use a plasmid. Too much gaming.

PS. They made Half-Life 2 for the Xbox 1?

Posted 03 Sep 2007 at 12:27

You asked me that already :).

Up to a month for the 360 to get back…

Posted 03 Sep 2007 at 14:38
  6. Chris Wells wrote:

Cool will have to pick it up from a bargain bin since it is BC to tide me over until the orange box.

Posted 04 Sep 2007 at 10:03