GDC 2005

Even though I wasn’t there, there’s a lot of stuff to comment on regarding GDC 2005.

However, my leatherworking skill is at 169 and when I get to 170 I can make cool new stuff. Also, I need 4g50 to finally increase my skinning skill which has been maxed out for a week now, I have to clean out my quest log, and I need to catch up a few levels because I didn’t play over the weekend.

Please talk amongst yourselves.

Update: My leatherworking is at 170, and I ponied up the gold for the skinning. I also got a lot of old Ashenvale quests done. Yay!

1. markus wrote:

stop.the.madness

Posted 15 Mar 2005 at 16:25
  2. Mystery Geek wrote:

Weird. I wasn’t there either, but there’s nothing I want to comment on. Okay, sure, Greg Costikyan ripped the industry, but he’s been doing that for ten years in a row and nothing’s changed. In fact, it’s gotten worse. (Maybe he should give a glowing appraisal and see what happens.)

Posted 16 Mar 2005 at 7:31
  3. David Freeman wrote:

Speaking of ten years in a row, when you have some free time, comment on this:

Posted 17 Mar 2005 at 0:34
  4. Kat wrote:

This is a year out of date, but I just wanted to send you my eternal adoration for the sheer brilliance of taking photos of the Ico presentation last year. I’m studying games at the moment so it’s a gold-mine of a resource for me, particularly as my lecturer is obsessed with game concepts that go outside the box.

*bows to your magnificence*

Posted 17 Mar 2005 at 3:35

Kat, you’re welcome. Although, if it had been just for me, you would have had 4 crappy phone cam pictures. A co-worker of mine took the high-res pics of every slide.

And David, thanks! That warrants its own blog entry.

Posted 17 Mar 2005 at 9:27
  6. Aubrey wrote:

From David Freeman’s (heehee!) link:

“I wouldn’t trust Ernest as far as I can throw him.”

Hehe. Time heals nothing, eh?

I found the link interesting. JP and myself were playing with the idea of a detective story using this kind of language structure – or atleast, using a pictogram based language to pull the player away from expecting the text to simply be plain english (I foresee it becoming quite difficult to produce the purple sentances it’s implied can be created by the use of English) and restricting the pictogram nouns and verbs to the (world/game/story) space. It’s nice to see something like it in action, because it means we were only as insane as Chris :).

Funny thing is, if the verbs in this game are analoguous to in game actions that can be performed, then in a sort of abstract way, we’ve already been using this system in many games. It’s just that it’s (generally) been for physical rather than lingual actions: “I kick (very hard!) the dog” etc. The idea that we could potentially hide this rather obtuse interface within the more intuitive representation of a typical 3rd person game, without compromising its subject, object, adverb, compound sentance structure appeals to me greatly, and I guess I had already been thinking in that direction. I’d love to see what’d happen if I logged, into a text file, the result of play, turning in game actions into sentances: “David orders Jurie to Dive tackle Chris. Jurie dive tackles Chris, hard”. Very boring procedural text, no doubt – really just a textual record of the equvalent of a very anal sports commentary, but I think we’re just on the tip of the iceburg, and it’s good to see someone pursuing it with some passion, eh?

The implication of this work, for me, is that a wider variety of player abilities, and meta-abilities (talking ABOUT actions rather than just DOING actions) is going to be an area of interest in the future. It’s just a case of wider, more faceted player expression, which is perfectly desirable, if you ask me.

But you didn’t.

Posted 17 Mar 2005 at 10:03

Aw. I wanted to comment on the Ernest joke.

Posted 17 Mar 2005 at 16:15