What I like about Katamari Damacy

I just finished Katamari Damacy. I started playing Monday night, now it’s Wednesday night. I guess I played about 8-12 hours in total. Here’s what I liked about the game:

• The save game selection screen
  • Looking up in the tutorial level
  • Looking down in the constellation screen
  • The TV in the living room
  • The King of All Cosmos and his parenting skills (and his diary)
  • The Prince
  • What you see when a level is loaded
  • Starting with a 1m katamari and going all the way to 300m in one level
  • Wiggling creatures and screaming people attached to my katamari
  • Despite the fact that aforementioned creatures and people get collapsed into flaming balls of gas, it’s a non-violent game
  • What happens when you lose a level (somehow I saw this a lot on star 7)
  • The music
  • The fact that it’s a short game, but there seems to be genuinely cool hidden stuff
  • The very satisfying ending (I didn’t even get the ‘UN mode’ even though I’d seen it at GDC…)
  • Easy access to everything you’ve seen or unlocked
  • The visual style and general upbeat wackiness
  • “Oh! I feel it! I feel the cosmos!”

Update: Fixed stupid typos.

1. nowak wrote:

* King of Cosmos’ Rainbow Vomit Teleporter

Posted 30 Dec 2004 at 17:17

Also, how he talks.

Posted 30 Dec 2004 at 18:40
  3. robin wrote:

… Also, how everyone falls in love with it!!!

Posted 30 Dec 2004 at 21:02

It’s a lot easier when you can actually read the text… :)

Posted 31 Dec 2004 at 0:12
  5. Jessica wrote:

I just started playing the game on Tuesday and I love it. I’m stuck on Star 7, though. Lots of people seem to have problems on that one…

Posted 31 Dec 2004 at 6:21

Me too! That one took me the most attempts, all the other ones were fairly easy. What worked for me was knowing at which size you can go to the next area, following the lines of objects, and optimising my path. It’s something like bananas and teapots and assorted junk to 1.20m, sunflowers to 1.50m, up the slope into town, get to 2.50m, get into the school yard, pick up the students, go through the hole in the wall and up the next slope, then go nuts.

Posted 31 Dec 2004 at 9:56
  7. fluffy wrote:

You’re missing a phoneme, and some would argue at length that it’s ‘katamari’ (though I’d argue that the second word should be ‘tamashii’).

Posted 02 Jan 2005 at 19:11

Hey, how strange that a) I made that typo, and b) nobody noticed / mentioned. I’ve corrected it, thanks! I’ve seen Damashii as a spelling, but Damacy seems more common.

Posted 02 Jan 2005 at 21:25
  9. fluffy wrote:

On the box cover it’s spelled “damacy” though on the little security seal thing it’s spelled “damashi.” But according to my friend Paul who is fluent in Japanese, a more appropriate transliteration is “tamashii,” which is also the only way to actually find it in a J-E dictionary.

Of course, the whole name (which means “bundle soul”) is a visual pun, as the two kanji are very similar in appearance.

Posted 03 Jan 2005 at 0:11

I’d noticed the similarity, but I didn’t know what it meant. Thanks!

Posted 04 Jan 2005 at 11:10
  11. JP wrote:

– that the sequel’s name is “Everybody Loves Katamari Damacy”, which is the second best sequel name of all time, just after “SpaceBalls 2: the Search for More Money”.

Posted 04 Jan 2005 at 17:20
  12. fluffy wrote:

The sequel’s plot is even better, too, according to http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/puzzle/katamaridamacy2/news_6115469.html

“While brief, the storyline behind Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy is even odder than that of the original Katamari Damacy. One day, the Prince of All Cosmos receives a request from a fan. The objective of the game is to have the Prince of All Cosmos answer the fan’s request, which will make more fans (stages) appear until the whole game is mobbed with fans. In Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy’s single-player mode, each of the stages has different objectives, such as making the ball as large as possible with a limited number of objects, making the ball larger than a given size, or picking up certain objects on the field.”

Posted 08 Jan 2005 at 21:58
  13. matt wrote:

Let me put an end to the confusion of why the title is Katamari Damacy.

Yes, soul in Japanese is tamashi, BUT the ending of the word katamari changes the ta in tamashi to damashi. This allows for easier pronunciation, an it happens all the time in Japanese language. I personally have gotten all the shooting stars in the game and have collected 93% of the object.

Posted 13 Apr 2005 at 19:37
  14. monkey wrote:

i have 2 shooting stars and like 80% of the objects. where is the stupid emerald ring!?!?!?!!? is there even one?

Posted 05 Jun 2005 at 4:45
  15. monkey wrote:

and i beat star 7 on my first try

Posted 05 Jun 2005 at 4:46
  16. Scotty R wrote:

I got this game a couple days ago. Most fun I have had with a game in a while. Easy to get into, fun to play, AWESOME music… for how strange it is. Such a great gaming experience. Its the only game where I havent been frustrated by not completing the objective. I see myself playing this game many times, for a while.

Posted 10 Jul 2005 at 21:15