Nintendo DS Fever

OK, so both Tobe and me pre-ordered a Nintendo DS and waited for it to arrive. He ordered at Lik-Sang, I ordered at DVD Box Office. He won. Except he doesn’t have any games yet :P

Still, I’ve now seen and touched one in real life. It’s funny, this is the first time ever that I’ve tried to get a new bit of hardware as early as possible. I’ve never considered myself an early adopter, ever since a friend of mine got a Super Nintendo from Japan in 1991. (Of course, this is all relative: I bought a DVD player in 1998, well after the first ones became available, but still payed around 850 Euros for it.)

No, I haven’t preordered a PSP. And pretty much for the same reason why I didn’t get a PlayStation or a PlayStation 2 when they came out: I’m just not that excited about the games I’ve heard about.

My impression of the DS, apart from that it’s bigger and heavier than I expected, is that Nintendo pretty much crammed everything cool in there that they could think of: stylus / thumb-tack, double screen, touch screen, microphone, Wi-Fi. And they have the internal development capacity plus the will and proven ability to exploit it, and to brow-beat others into doing so.

There is some discussion between the people at Eurogamer on how well-suited the touch screen is for controlling Mario DS. But be sure to read their review for more details on the mini-games, which are apparently addictive show-cases of what can be done with a DS.

(Have you noticed how everyone has to switch to a new screenshot format? Have you ever had trouble understanding a DS game because of that screenshot format?)

Meanwhile, preordering the DS and the PSP in Japan was no walk in the park.

Tokyopia also has reports on Wario Ware Touched (who wants to be touched by Wario? Brrrr…. but I still want that game) and Meteos, a multi-player puzzle game by Tetsuya “Rez” Mizuguchi and Masahiro “Kirby/Smash Bros.” Sakurai.

1. fluffy wrote:

I have a game already (Sprung, which I’d have just linked to for comedic effect if you didn’t disallow HTML in comments), but no system to play it on. *snif*

Posted 12 Dec 2004 at 20:01
  2. tobe wrote:

I have Feel The Magic, which is a surprisingly innovative Wario Ware / Romance game. It remains to be seen whether this sort of short-term challenge game play is all you can make with weird new peripherals.

One thing seems clear after playing: the stylus as a replacement for the home computer mouse might be the most important addition to handheld gaming. The microphone….? Well, apart from spitting on my display, no other use has appeared yet.

Posted 13 Dec 2004 at 14:09

I am convinced the “throw input devices at wall and see what sticks” approach is a good one.

Posted 13 Dec 2004 at 14:47
  4. cubeboy101 wrote:

is it me or is psp and all other single screened handhelds now obselete it looks that way to me psp with its old consepts long loading times and poor battery are no match for ds with its proper handheld battery and design and the inovations and wifi game sharing it all leaves a bad taste in the mouth of sony fans the psp is no match for DS and to think about it gizmondo is a better system than psp

Posted 14 Jan 2005 at 19:20

You said it, cubeboy.

Posted 14 Jan 2005 at 22:26
  6. Erik Grant wrote:

The DS could wipe the floor with the PSP if they just make better games. But I will always love the DS for its two screens and wireless functions. The DS could make a Super Smash Bros. game. It could have these functions ( a button = attack, b button = speacial attacks, x and y button = jumping, l and r button = sheild, l and r and a button together= grab, crontrol pad = control, top screen = gameplay, and touchsreen = pause ). It can have the same characters as the second one, but it can have more like mew,wario,sonic,knuckles,waluigui,daisy, master hand,crazy hand,and giga browser. It can have the same boards from the second and more like a sonic board and so on. It can be called Super Smash Bros. Destination. I hope the nintendo people will consider my idea, because gamers are more concerned about games than systems.

Posted 09 Mar 2005 at 23:52
  7. Erik Grant wrote:

Yo it is me again. And this time I did some research on the DS and I found out that DS PLAYS MOVIES, MUSIC, FC GAMES, AND READS E-BOOKS ( THIS HAPPENS WITH THE GBA/GBASP/NDS MOVIE PLAYER AT LIK-SANG.COM ) With this movie player you can play these things with a flash card and a pc. First when you get it you put it in the pc and download movies and music and fc games of the internet. I know most of you heard this, but I am telling you that when DS FANS hear this they will get it and PSP will be no more. And ddi I mention it lik-sang.com also has a tv tuner for the gbasp/gba/nds. Well I incourage you to get it ( if you want to ), because this brings the DS on a new level.

Posted 29 Mar 2005 at 17:44