Nintendo DS news

Well, allegedly, Nintendo DS specs have been leaked. The juicy bits: 3D acceleration, touch screen, wireless LAN.

My immediate thoughts:

3D acceleration makes sense. It differentiates the DS from the GBA, allows people to re-issue some new old games (Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 handheld?), and, no matter how good Nintendo is at squeezing fun / revenue out of old technology (e.g. GBA, Donkey Kong Country on SNES, etc.), it diminishes Sony PSP’s main selling point: superior technology – even if the PSP still has superior horsepower.

Touch screen makes sense. You add a screen, the form factor remains small, something’s got to give. You could move / remove some buttons and give developers the option of making their own buttons on the touch screen.

Wireless LAN is puzzling. If you want to do short-range, offline multiplayer, you could just use Bluetooth. Wireless LAN, as far as I understand it, would be overkill in terms of range, speed and power consumption. Also, even more intriguing, WLAN requires a base station with connection to the Internet. Maybe you can use it for direct client-to-client communication (that would certainly be cool for short-range offline multiplayer), I don’t know. But it seems to me it would make no sense to release a WLAN-capable gadget without having an online strategy to go with it. In this case, one involving wireless ISPs… how big is that in Japan? An online strategy from Nintendo, now that’s revolutionary.

All in all, pretty interesting for a rumour. Nintendo had been hinting the DS would be revolutionary and important. And it had to be, what with the proliferation of mobile gaming-ish devices and the amount of money they made off the Game Boy and it’s progeny. But I was wondering what they were going to do. This definitely sounds intriguing.

1. Jamie Fristrom wrote:

Touch screen could also make RTS possible, or at the very least improve the interface for Advance Wars. Non-stop rocking!

Posted 11 Mar 2004 at 21:11

Hmm… a touch screen is basically a track pad… interesting thought.

Posted 11 Mar 2004 at 23:54
  3. nowak wrote:

Touch screen is interesting (there were such rumours before), but one problem that touch screens have is that there’s no tactile feedback on the buttons, and for a screen that size, it might not be the best for a user interface.

Also
    > WLAN requires a base station with connection to the Internet.

WLAN (the L being Local) does not require an internet connection to work… only if you want to get online.

Posted 12 Mar 2004 at 1:03

You’re right, it IS wireless LAN. And I can connect two computers together using an Ethernet cable. I don’t know network stacks / WLAN well enough to know what would speak against that.

So the range of options could go from short-range gaming to interacting with a base station, connected to the Internet or not, for anything between 1 to, say, 16 players locally and massive amounts online.

Cool.

Posted 12 Mar 2004 at 8:35
  5. Sean Firn wrote:

This is the number 1 system. The psp is out of it`s leage. NINTENDO DS all the way.!!!!

Posted 16 Jul 2004 at 1:51
  6. aNDREW wrote:

I’ve already purchased the ds and yet i am still quite unsure of how the lan and the wireless works.The point of the pictochat is too talk with someone whos not with you,so y does it only work when im near someone with a ds?And how is the lan supposed to work,do we need to get a router for it or will nintendo release something like it?How are we supposed to make full use of it if we dont know the specs of the distance the ds can connect wirelessly?except for these minor gliches the ds is mad cool.Hopefully some of you can answer my questions and …how does a router work….can it work wothout a computer???

Posted 26 Nov 2004 at 14:48
  7. NateDogg wrote:

Andrew –

A router does not need a computer to work. You simply (in theory) plug your cable (Coax) or DSL connection (CAT5) into the router and you are set to go. What you will need is a switch or hub (hubs are less expensive and work fine for home use). Just a little 3 port should work fine. You would plug your router into one of the hub’s port’s via a CAT5 cable. You then have two (unless it has it’s own uplink port, then you would still have 3) port’s left to plug in any other devices to connect to the internet. Supposing Nintendo develops a wireless (blue tooth compatible) network cable, you would then plug it into the hub to allow connection to the internet on the DS. I do not know if this is in development. Also, I’m supposing Nintendo would need server’s to host online game play?? Maybe I’m wrong?! If anyone could shed some light on this subject it would be very helpful. Thanks a bunch!

I hope this makes sence. – NateDogg

Posted 21 Dec 2004 at 22:16
  8. Evan wrote:

ummm i just want to know how to play with people across the world with the LAN connection or whatever i mean i know the DS is able to do that but the big question is HOW?????????????????/

Posted 28 Feb 2005 at 19:55
  9. Brett wrote:

The DS will Wirelessly connect to the Router like a Wireless-B Network Adapter would. All you have to do is Have them both on then on the DS click the Download one where it searches for Games and it will say “DSL Connection” , Brett (i know EVERYTHING there is to know about the Nintendo DS and I’m only 12)

Posted 29 Jun 2005 at 1:32
  10. Brett wrote:

E-mail me at nerd1232@Hotmail.com if you have any questions about the DS! ,Brett

Posted 29 Jun 2005 at 1:35
  11. lee wrote:

if and how does the ds actually get “DSL CONNECTION” I have my microsoft wirless 802.11b router obn and ive cliked ds download play and nothing happeneds. what do i need to do on the computer to make it work?

Posted 10 Jul 2005 at 5:43
  12. Mike wrote:

What if you don’t own a router and you’r not even close to one? and does the router cost money every month to use? Also what’s the point of playin’ online if you have to be pluged into a router the whole time, I mean can you just set up the DS to a router and then you never have to be by one to play online? Another thing I thought that nintendo said they were usin’ IGN connection so why would you need a router????

Please Help!!!

Posted 28 Jul 2005 at 20:49
  13. Mike wrote:

What does wireless connection to a router realy mean? And would you need to connect it every time you want go online, and what is lan connection do you need a router for that????

Posted 28 Jul 2005 at 20:54
  14. Brian Lofstedt wrote:

This has nothing to do with any of this, but it’s been two years since I’ve posted on this blog… I just searched my name in Google and found that 2 years ago I had posted here… So much has happened since then. Well, I’m just going to leave you with this: Life is short, don’t spend all of it playing video games. Meet people and get to know them. Have fun. Live life.

Posted 03 Mar 2007 at 19:19
  15. reina wrote:

hey,um how do we connect one ds to the other if we are in the same country but for example different houses or something it’s confusing and i don’t know what to do, however when my ds is close to the other ds we can chat but when we r in different houses we can’t!!!

Posted 11 Apr 2007 at 17:05
  16. Brett wrote:

Haha, yea Brian. I feel the same way. However I was totally BS’ing about that Wireless Router stuff. I just wanted to look smart or something. Ha! Anyways, I’m not 12 anymore, and I don’t know “EVERYTHING” about the DS, either. Lol.

Peace.