New links

As you may have noticed, I have rearranged the links to other sites on the left side of the page. My previous system was too rigid and did not allow me to link to sites I wanted to link to. (Don’t ask me to explain the logic behind my previous system.) This approach takes up more space but gives me more freedom. I may tweak the style sheets a bit.

1. Markus Friedl wrote:

thanks for the link Jurie! :)

Posted 27 Jan 2004 at 9:04
  2. codemonky_uk wrote:

Thanks: http://www.hulver.com/scoop/story/2004/1/23/91335/0489

Posted 27 Jan 2004 at 11:09
  3. Aubrey wrote:

Hey, wow! We’re “Slightly Academic”. I feel aggrandized! Thanks!

Posted 28 Jan 2004 at 11:16

Um… I will change the description. I wrote them all in kind of a hurry. No offence was intended by the ‘academic’ epithet.

Posted 28 Jan 2004 at 11:55
  5. Walter wrote:

Heh, I feel like “slightly academic” would apply better to our blog, whereas antifactory would better warrant the ‘academic’ label. (Thanks for linking, of course!)

So, Jurie…what was the logic behind your previous system? :D

Posted 28 Jan 2004 at 22:16
  6. Aubrey wrote:

No way, Walter. You use WAAAY longer words than us!

Posted 29 Jan 2004 at 0:28
  7. Aubrey wrote:

Wow. I guess my first comment was taken as sarcastic. It wasn’t. Maybe I should be clearer:

Didn’t take academic as an insult. Took it as an unwarrented compliment.

Walter’s blog is smart. Thanks for linking. Everything is as it should be. That is all.

Posted 29 Jan 2004 at 0:40
  8. Aubrey wrote:

Or was Jurie’s comment sarcastic? Holy shit, I am quite confused!

Posted 29 Jan 2004 at 0:41
  9. Walter wrote:

You need to get out of the flow, Bezzy. Or into the flow. Or whatever. :)

Seriously, though, you’ve done way better work on antifactory than I imagine we’ll do on ours. Fair Play Resource and Anatomy of Games seriously deserve print publication.

Posted 29 Jan 2004 at 1:12

No sarcasm implied or inferred, really. For me, “academic” is not necessarily a compliment, although it needn’t be a slight either. I associate it with professional background, and with audience and purpose. Although it may not always be as clear from my posts as I’d like, I am interested in serious thinking on games and game design. However, my audience are game developers, and my purpose is the improvement of games. I often feel I do not share this with academics who are writing about games.

Posted 29 Jan 2004 at 5:31
  11. Aubrey wrote:

Walter: Very kind of you to say, but my head is now expanding!

Jurie: First of all, sorry for spamming posts. Annoying I always feel like I’ve annoyed you when I come away from commenting, and I make it worse by trying to patch things up!

I think my considerations are the same as yours. I don’t believe “academic” necessarily makes anything more or less respectable. The things I write typically attempt to understand the beast in order to better cope with its flailing limbs when I come to design. I’d like to think they’re pragmatic articles, rather than pure reflections on what has already come to pass. I don’t enjoy trying to classify existing games. Rather, I prefer trying to understand games’ intricacies – hence the Anatomy article (which I’ll be re-drafting some time). Your mileage may vary, though.

Posted 29 Jan 2004 at 13:22

Don’t worry about the comments, that’s what they’re there for, and it’s nice to get some more interaction going :)

I now realize I must read your site more often.

Posted 29 Jan 2004 at 17:12
  13. Aubrey wrote:

And that means I’ll have to write for it more often!

(Don’t worry. I’ve got something on the way).

Posted 29 Jan 2004 at 18:17
  14. Markus Friedl wrote:

my $0.02 on that..
    i have to agree with Jurie here… also don’t think that ” “academic” necessarily makes anything more or less respectable”… there’s just still a very big discrepancy between the academic and the professional game design “world”… and it’s really still *worlds* … nufortunately … but that’s something we can work on I think (and it’s already starting…not only by “academic” game design blogs… )… I think there’s a lot that those 2 “worlds” from learn and gain from each other…

Posted 30 Jan 2004 at 1:02
  15. Walter wrote:

Yeah, I think the problem is that while much of academic work can ultimately be helpful, it usually requires the academics to go further and further towards stuff that can’t really be applied.

Posted 30 Jan 2004 at 1:20